Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Project MACH

I've mentioned Life2Orphans before on my blog in this post.  They offer various ways to help the orphans and orphanages in Dana's country.  One of their programs, called Project MACH, helps three different families who have taken HIV+ orphans into their families in a foster care capacity.  All of these families have between 6-8  kids and could use some extra help with items like clothes, toys, and toiletries.  Last October I sent a big box of stuff to the little girl we sponsor.  She's 9-years old and her name is Ira.  I included a letter telling her a little bit about us, some basic items like soap and toothpaste, a few fun things I thought she would like, and something small for each of her siblings.  Yesterday I received a translated letter from her and a CD slideshow with tons of pictures of her and the other kids!  It was so much fun to receive this update and know that she got our box and enjoyed the contents.  I need to start working on sending her another one so that it arrives in time for summer!

Not all of the kids in this program have sponsors yet.  In fact, one family has no sponsors.  :(  After receiving Ira's letter, I can tell you that it means so much to these kids and their families.  It's very easy and doesn't have to be super expensive.  You can choose the child you wish to sponsor and are even given some basic information about them, which helps when deciding what to include in the box.  You actually send the box to Life2Orphans in Portland and include a check for shipping to Dana's country (it's so awkard not to be able to name the country!).  The shipping rate is VERY reasonable compared to what you would pay if you shipped through USPS or FedEx.  I think my box cost around $40 to send...not bad at all.  This is a GREAT family project; my kids were so excited to fill the box for Ira and her brothers and sisters.  If you're interested in particpating in this program, check out the Project MACH page on the L2O website, or email Bethany, the program coordinator, at info@positivelyorphaned.org.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's so great you got a letter and pictures from Ira! I'm THRILLED. I've been wondering if anyone got any packages. That's really great news and I'm so happy you are sending another parcel soon. Thanks for the update! One thing I learned, is that when you send the box to Portland it MUST say the family's name on it. So, I guess you did it right. Thanks again for being a sponsor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bethany,

    I was super excited to get the letter!! Did you know Svetlana had a baby last October? A little girl named Eva. :) The family has also taken in another little boy named Misha. He's 4 years old. That house has got to be one busy place!!

    ReplyDelete

 


  © Web Design by Poppies Blooming 2010

Back to TOP