Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Day 5 Donetsk

We arrived in Donetsk early this morning.  The train was just okay.  We didn't sleep that great and it was pretty cramped.  In hindsight, I wish we would have flown.  Getting on and off the train was the first time we felt like we had overpacked.  When I say "we", I mean me, but in my defense I'm here longer than Norm and I have all Dasha's stuff in my bag, too.

The driver was there to meet us this morning as we got off the train.  His name was Boba and he spoke very little English.  The ride to the apartment was weird.  It was maybe a 15 minute ride and  he stopped twice and told us to wait in the car.  The first time, we were parked in an Italian restaurant parking lot and he smoked a cigarette and made a phone call.  The second stop, he backed into the lot of an old building and just walked around.  When he got back in the car, Norm asked him if everything was okay and he said "fine" and drove us to our apartment.  Strange.  The apartment is really nice compared to the one in Kiev.  Jodi, it's your old apartment!  :)  It's much bigger, newer, and cleaner, but I did find a dead roach in one of the bathroom drawers which DOES NOT make me happy.  I absolutely HATE bugs and roaches are the worst!  I have been worried about this since day one of the adoption.  I know it sounds silly, but that's just the way I am.  If I see a live one, I don't know what I'm going to do.  Anyway, back to the apartment.  Boba was disgusted with our inability to lock/unlock the front door of the apartment.  The doors here are heavy duty and so are the locks.  That is a good thing, but it takes some getting used to to figure out how many turns until the thing is locked.  We eventually got it figured out and he left.  We unpacked and took a nap since we didn't sleep well last night. 

Tonight we met Mary and Brad Bergman for dinner.  We are so lucky to have them here in Donetsk adopting from the same orphange.  Their little girl, Polina, is in the same groupa as Dasha.  It was a lot of fun to finally meet Mary since we've been emailing each other for months.

We also Skyped with the kids tonight.  I miss them soooooo much and it seems like it's been forever since we've seen them.   I know we (especially me) still have a long time to go.  It makes me sad, but I am trying to focus on what we have to do here to get home. 

Tomorrow is the day!!  Our facilitator, Sasha, is coming over at 8 am to take us to the orphanage.  We will finally, after 7 months, 3 weeks, and 5 days, meet our little girl!!  We are excited and nervous at the same time.  We will be meeting with the orphanage director and vice director and learning more about Dasha's past and her medical history.  We realize that we are about to rock her world and change everything that is familiar to her.  Tomight will be the last time she goes to sleep not knowing her parents.  Please pray that this little girl is ready to meet us and open to getting a mommy and daddy.

Be sure to check back tomorrow.  I promise I'll post pictures and maybe some video (if I can figure out how).

3 comments:

  1. I cannot wait!!!!!!!
    try to sleep tonight, though I know it will be hard knowing tomorrow is the first day of the rest of her life :)
    Remember 1 takes notes while the other has the camera ready for when they bring her in while you are getting her info :) :)
    hugs!!!!!!!!
    same to Mary :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok YAY our apartment EEWW on the bug! We did not see any while we were there but it was too cold. Ok the front door it took me 3 weeks to get it right. Just turn knob once then push. The best market to go to is just around the corner and the bank everything YAY I can help you navigate. When you walk out of the building turn right and walk beside the foo foo dog groomer store, facing the street turn left and walk down the sidewalk. On the corner is a new market with marble steps. The baker makes fresh bread very early and it sells out quick LOL. If you get bored watch out the back courtyard from the kitchen it is usually very comical. Plus you get to watch the babuska feeding the pigeons on her balcony! LOL I will try to reach you on Skype tomorrow. Praying for a good night's rest and all of your children tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see pictures Megan! This is so exciting! You will like the orphanage staff, they are so very kind and really care for the kids. Super awesome you will probably have visiting hours with Mary too - it's great having someone else there with you. :)

    ReplyDelete

 


  © Web Design by Poppies Blooming 2010

Back to TOP