Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Monday, February 21, 2011

Hurry Up and Wait

We have another week before our senator's office is going to contact USCIS.  Until then, we just sit and wait.  I recently pulled out a book that I read at the beginning of this process called The Complete Book of International Adoption by Dawn Davenport.  It's such a great book for anybody beginning or considering an international adoption.  Dawn has an entire chapter dedicated to "surviving the wait", which is the time in between submitting the paperwork and, in our case, getting our travel date.  She includes a list of 42 activities that help to pass the time.  Not all of them are applicable to us since we aren't first time parents and we aren't adopting a baby, but there are a few that I'm working on.  They include:

1.  Learning as much of your child's birth language as possible- Right now I'm working on learning the alphabet of this language and a few simple words and phrases such as "please", "thank-you", "hello", "How much is this?".  After I get the basics down, I really hope to learn some child phrases like "Are you hungry?", "Time for bed", and "I love you".  I'm also working on arranging to have an interpreter who speaks Dana's language available to us once we're home.  I think I've found a women who is willing to help and, the best part, she lives about 5 minutes from us! 

2.  Read adoption books and articles.- I've been reading adoption books for a while now, but since the paper chase has ended, I have a bit more time and can pick up the pace.  I'm currently reading Parenting Your Internationally Adopted Child by Patty Cogen and, I have to say, it's probably one of my favorites. 

3.  Choose a name.- As I've said before, Dana is not our little girl's real name.  Her real name is very pretty, but it not what she is called.  She instead goes by a nickname.  We have been discussing and debating whether or not to keep her real name, use her nickname, or give her a new name.  My husband and I never easily agreed on the names of our other children (Poor Sam went without a name for almost 5 days!), so I don't know why I thought this time would be any different.  I think we are close to getting it figured out, but it could also be another 2 months before we agree...who knows!

4.  Research early-intervention programs.- We do not know for sure that Dana is going to have developmental delays (although she will no doubt have normal orphanage delays), but I want to be prepared just in case so I've spoken with our school district and discussed some of our various options.

5.  Tackle your "someday" list.- At the very top of my list is organizing the storage area of our basement.  It's a mess and it WILL be conquered before Dana comes home.  Now that I've put this on my blog, I have to do it, right?  :)

6. Arrange for the care of children if you will be leaving them at home when you travel.- This is a biggie for me.  I'm already trying to think ahead and plan for every possible situation while we're gone.  I know the separation is going to be difficult for everyone, especially the kids, so I'm trying to make life as easy and stress-free as possible for everyone while we're gone. 

7.  Learn a few lullabies and bouncy games.-  I downloaded this CD onto my ipod.  Some of the songs are in English and others are in Russian.  The music is so relaxing that I've even been listening to it in the evening to unwind. 

8.  Begin preparing a lifebook for your child.- Dana's lifebook will be the story of how she came to be our daughter as well as the story of her life before she came to us.  It's kind of like a scrapbook that covers her life up until she became a member of our family.

I think that's about it.  These eight to-do's should help us survive the wait and keep us busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 


  © Web Design by Poppies Blooming 2010

Back to TOP